Jr. Software Developer
- Experience Level Entry
- Total Years Experience 0-5
Title: Jr. Software Developer
Reports to: Head of Product
Direct Reports: n/a
Competition Closes: March 11, 2021 at 5pm Est.
BPTN is on a major growth path and hiring!!
The Black Professionals in Tech Network (BPTN), is on a mission to get more Black professionals in and into leadership within leading tech companies. We are changing the conversation – There is no “Pipeline problem” for tech talent, there is a Network problem, and we are focusing on solving that!! Come join us.
BPTN bridges the Network gap in the tech industry by providing Black technical and business professionals with access to senior executive sponsorship, industry training and a strong peer network to support their growth and career development. On the other side of the coin, we support leading companies to connect, hire and promote Black professionals in tech.
We are building BPTN 2.0!!!
With the tremendous growth BPTN has seen since its inception, we are now taking the next steps in meeting the ecosystem demand by building a global platform to change how Black professionals are engaged! This is a digital platform for the ages, and we are excited to find a brilliant mind to lead.
BPTN is currently looking for a Junior Software Developer to join our product team; As a member of the development team, your main focus will be to design and develop new features on both the front- and back-end of our software suite. And, because you are a technology enthusiast, you will probably want to tweak and maintain our existing feature set as well! You will get to participate in sprints where you will be encouraged to share your ideas and knowledge with your team. You will be working in a dynamic and peer-driven environment where you will play with all the latest and greatest hardware and software!
You will play a critical role in defining, communicating, and executing the product vision and strategy on a platform that will feature multiple products under its umbrella. The Junior Software Developer will have solid technical and analytical skills with strong business acumen. In this role, you’ll work with Engineering, Design, Operations and various internal and external stakeholders across the company to understand the needs of Black Professionals, and build a strategic roadmap.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions
You will collaborate with our Head of Product, Sr. Product Manager, Software Architect and development team in developing the enabling technologies necessary to launch BPTN Products and services from scratch, and make our processes better, faster and easier for everyone while guarding the overall experience of Black Professionals and Partners.
- You will design, code, and test software features while seeking optimal performance and code structure
- Employ a straightforward development process aiming at reusable, optimal, maintainable solutions that will enhance the platform’s quality
- Support the functionality of developed applications in all environments through interaction with Development teams and/or set up of continuous integration and deployment tools
- Participates in project teams, design reviews, and provide time estimates for assigned development
- Identify and troubleshoot system deficiencies and recommend solutions
- Ensure that the application matches designs provided by the product team
- Build, test, and deploy scalable web applications from functional specifications
- Work within the cross-functional product/design team to ship polished and robust features
- Responsible for delivering code in production using our continuous integration platform.
- Good understanding of Agile/Scrum processes and experience participating in an agile team
- Strong passion for UX, UI, data and building things
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms (e.g., arrays, lists, trees, etc.)
- Familiarity with parsing JSON / XML using client-side and server-side frameworks
- A passion for clean code and hot new frontend technologies (e.g., React.js, Angular.js, etc.).
- Excellent source control management skills while working with branches and pull requests (e.g., GitHub, Bitbucket, Azure VSTS etc.).
- Basic understanding of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
Nice to have
- Strong computer science background
- Understanding of modern DevOps and CI/CD pipelines (e.g., Git actions, Jenkins, Octopus, etc.)
- Competitive salaries
- Health Benefits
- Lifestyle & Wellness spending account
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Group retirement savings employer contributions up to 3% of your base salary
- Work from home
- Flexible work hours
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced Startup with a dream team. At BPTN, we embrace differences. We create a space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life’s best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.