Front-End Web Developer
- Experience Level Entry
- Total Years Experience 0-5
Why is this role important?
If you want to enter the world of digital media and be part of the change and growth of one of Canada’s long established and respected broadcasters, this is your chance. CBC Digital Strategy & Products is looking for a Front-End Web Developer to join our growing team.
Our new Front-End Web Developer will be responsible for contributing to a new set of Over-The-Top (OTT) client applications for CBC Gem and ICI TOU.tv that will serve millions of French and English-speaking Canadians. You will be responsible for taking a component-based approach to application development and enabling rapid feature delivery.
You are working as a Front-End Web Developer and you are looking for an opportunity to join a company with a purpose and with a commitment to supporting the career progression of their people. You are seeking a chance to innovate, collaborate and learn as you lend a tangible contribution to the way Canadians access and engage with CBC content.
Whether you are currently working in a startup, the corporate world or somewhere in between, you want to be part of a fun team, engaged in a continuous learning culture, where you can take on new challenges and be a significant contributor to engaging our national audience.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values – collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement – embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work.
- Work from home opportunities.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie.
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology.
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development.
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups.
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent.
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected.
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity.
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- You will be designing and/or modifying reusable web components for CBC/Radio-Canada’s OTT platforms.
- You will be assisting in managing and grooming the story backlog of our various products.
- You will be ensuring compliance with standards and control product quality throughout the project.
- You will be keeping up with the latest trends in the various digital development fields.
- You will be proactive and suggest solutions to challenges that arise, particularly in meeting new SEO and accessibility standards.
- You will be participating in Agile Scrum activities in order to review progress on projects in production and make the necessary corrections/adjustments, or to gauge the results of completed projects.
What you bring to our team:
- The education: A Computer Science, Engineering, Math degree or equivalent is preferred, but we know not everyone gains their programming skills this way.
- The passion. You have a passion for information and technology and you are enthusiastic about the opportunity to link the two pieces together.
- The hands-on expertise. You have five or more years of hands-on professional experience developing large complex web-based applications. You have expertise in:
- Using HTML and CSS/Less/Sass/Styled Components.
- Designing responsive, accessible websites.
- Front-end performance optimization.
- Experience with Git, NPM, Node.js and Next.js.
- Writing code accompanied by unit tests sufficient to ensure code coverage.
- The desire to learn. You can quickly learn new technologies and respond to change by learning and adapting.
- The communication skills. You know how to listen and relay empathy and understanding for diverse perspectives. Your powers of observation help you understand your audience and communicate with the right level of detail. You are comfortable working with remote team members.
- Bilingualism (English and French) spoken and written is an asset.
- The collaborative Agile experience. You thrive in a team-focused environment. You believe in the Agile methodology deeply, but you are flexible and open to the real world twists and turns. You are comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Test-driven development.
- Object-oriented development and design patterns.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.